While travelling back to Boncourt (2 hrs flight and 1 hr car journey) today, I had the opportunity to read the latest Time magazine â€“ Valentineâ€™s Day Special. It has a few interesting article which I would like to share with everyone.
Article 1 â€“ The Science of Romance
This article tries to explain the science behind falling in love. It says that humanâ€™s principal job while alive is to reproduce, raise the child to adulthood and then die so that you donâ€™t consume too many resources better spent on the younger generation. So why are we making so much fuss about romance??
The author goes on to identify the factorâ€™s that make us attracted to the opposite gender, which is
- Physical appearance â€“ This is nothing new.
- Smell â€“ Apparently men can detect when women are ovulating (more fertile) and thus are more attractive to the men during these period.
- Taste test â€“ Apparently by kissing, the body can tell whether you and your partner have compatible genes for reproduction.
- Drugs (incl. birth control pill) & alcohol can distort oneâ€™s selection for the â€˜bestâ€™ lover/partner.
Interesting Article 2 â€“ Please Marry Me
Apparently being married also gives you better health and longer life. Results of a research:
- Married people live longer and are healthier
- Studies have linked marriage to lower rates of cardiovascular disease, cancer, respiratory disease and mental illness.
- Marriage helps both spouses cope better with stress, though men benefit more than women.
- Marriage is fattening, particularly for husbands. Married men are nearly 20% more likely than unmarried men to be overweight.
Not too sure about the last point. Iâ€™m think women tend to get fatter compared to their husbands
P/s: I am just trying to share interesting facts about love and marriage life.